Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:21:26 GMT

Todd wrote:
A painting showing you how to do it would be closer to a videotape showing
you how to do it.  Would you suggest that it be illegal to videotape
yourself assembling an official LEGO set and distribute that video?

When we create .DAT representations of official models, we're reverse-
engineering, and we're producing a different and equally valid way to get • to
the same end result.

That's an interesting point.  Here's a variation on that:

If someone with a good memory watched someone else build a Lego set, he
could go home and build it himself.  And if he had friends with good
memories, he could then show them how to build it, and it could keep going.
In a way, that is what the OMR would be doing.

Also, on reviewing my original post about .dat files and copyrights, I said
that the idea of 'How to Build This' was copyrighted, but I realized that
ideas are not copyrighted, but only the original expression of that idea.

my $.02

--Ryan