Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:44:01 GMT

This is just a quick message to let you know that either later today or
tomorrow I will be posting the information for the OMR, ie the headers, what
to do about missing pieces, etc.  I just need to type it up and have Tim
edit to make sure everything is clear. It is basically just and update of
his post from a while back with some additions. I also want to discuss a
storage option(at least a temporary one) with him, and I'll post about that
as well.

Your patience will be rewarded.

Ryan Dennett

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Heather Patey writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ryan Farrington writes:
Ryan Dennett wrote:
You, know, it's funny that you asked this, Ryan, because I meant to talk • to
Tim about it last night, but totally forgot. On the way home I was • thinking
about LDraw stuff when I remembered the OMR. I was getting ready to write • a
message to Tim, when I saw these posts, so I guess I'll just combine it • into
this. The OMR is something that I had really hoped would be functioning, • at
least in a small way, by now. Ryan, were you asking because of interest in
helping with it? If so in what way?

Well, I was going to model most/all of my sets for the Repository...and I
have some ideas for the directory structure...

Tim Courtney wrote:
Page generation, searchability, and indexing are issues.  By theme?
Set number? Name?  Or all of the above (and how)?

I would say regarding organizing them for indexing, by theme then group
(sub-theme) then set name would be the most efficient method (especially for
people looking for a specific set).  And if it makes sense to do so, we
could have a sub-domain for all the official sets: models.ldraw.org.  So you
go to the OMR at http://www.ldraw.org/repository/official/ and you can
choose your theme, which would link to something like
http://models.ldraw.org/castle/.  Then you could choose the sub-theme,
http://models.ldraw.org/castle/forestmen/, where there would be thumbnails
(either LDrawn or POV-Rayed) of all the Forestmen sets.

Thoughts?  (and I understand the not-so-urgent status of this, so...no need
to rush replies, I think)
--Ryan

Hi CAD gang,

Just poking my nose in from the inventory group next door.  ML-CAD can generate
a parts list from any DAT file, so the Repository could perhaps be a great
source for inventories.  Could I suggest that anyone making official models,
include comments about parts that are changed or left out because the proper
parts aren't created yet, or other differences like printing?  There are a lot
of sets not yet inventoried - Space is very bare indeed - and if people are
making accurate models, then an inventory wouldn't need to be done separately.
Probably links could be set up to include the Repository in the collection of
linked databases existing in and around LUGNET, as well.  What do you think?

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada