Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:32:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ryan Dennett writes:
Will .mpd accept more than 8 characters? I don't use it much, but I was
under the impression that we had to keep that in the 8+3 format as well.
Please let me know As soon as possible so I can make any necessary changes
to the standards.

Why *not* accept long filenames for model names?  I think that the current
generation of tools (LDLite, MLCad, etc.) are sufficiently good enough --
and we don't necessarily want to restrict Un*x and Mac users as well.  I'm a
die-hard LEdit bigot, but with the latest version of MLCad, I've been
finding myself using LEdit less and less.

However, I feel that the core LDraw parts library should be kept with 8.3
filenames, since LDraw/Ledit is still so useful for parts authoring.

Just my .02 Rupees...

Cheers,
- jsproat