Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:11:27 GMT

[ I am still a scientist, not a lawyer ]

Erik:

I think the DAT file becomes a derivative work. You're just
translating the original work into a new medium.

<quote src="Danish copyright law" translation="on-the-fly">
§ 4. One, who translates, reworks or in another way adapts
      a work, including transforming it to another form of
      litterature or art, has copyright ("ophavsret") to the
      work in this form, but can not rule over it (use?) in
      a way that is against the copyright ("ophavsretten")
      to the original work.
</quote>

In a shorter and more specific form:

   A LDraw representation of an official LEGO model can
   only be distributed (in public) if both the creator of
   the LDraw representation and LEGO agrees to it.

If it's allowed under the Fair Play policy, then it's allowed.

I think that is what it comes to.

Since LEGO seems to be aware of what goes on at Lugnet, it is
reasonable to conclude that they include LDraw representations
of current models under their "Fair Play policy".

This means that linking from the OMR to files at
lugnet.cad.dat.sets must be legal as well (assuming an ok from Todd).

Play well,

Jacob (who is a scientist, not a lawyer)
--
"De er også gået over til søgsmål"