Re: LDraw.org Official Model Repository Standards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:31:24 GMT

"Ryan Dennett" <rdennett@firehousemail.com> wrote in message
Ok, I have made some changes to the OMR Standards based on the feedback that
has been given. If there is no major objections than this is how the
Standard will remain, but as always feedback is nescessary for things to
work well.
I think that most everything has been covered, but if not just let me know
and I'll see what I can do.

I have some nitpicking to do, not too much though. :o)  All of the meat of this
post is fine the way I see it, but there needs to be some
clarification/reformatting on a final spec which gets published for the format.

FILE FORMAT
All .dat files will be packaged into an .mpd file named XXXXM-YYYYY.mpd  For
further information see 'Naming' below.

Silly one... you put an extra Y in there ;-)

SUBDIRECTORIES
Subdirectories will be used to keep files for each individual set in its own
folder. The subdirectory structure will follow the pattern of
C:\lego\ldraw\models\sets\XXXXM-YYYY

I would just mark this as ..ldraw\models\sets\, clarifying that each user can
choose where on their hard drive to put the LDraw directory.

where 'XXXX' represents the four-digit model number, 'M' represents the
optional modifier(see 'Optional Modifiers' below), and 'YYYY' represents the
four-digit year of production.

Move header down, or to a different document, and explain all of the file naming
convention in one spot, then go on to the file contents.  Work from the top
level (naming convention) down to the details (contents standard) in that order.

HEADER
The header for each file will be identical with the exception of the first
two lines which are determined by the part of the model the file is of. The
standard header is as follows:

0 [2]
0 Name: [1]
0 Ldraw.org Official Model Repository
0 www.ldraw.org/repository/official

Show exploded examples for each type of file in the MPD like in the post:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=251

The hyperlink can also be written as http://www.ldraw.org/repository/official • .

NAMING

Ok... this naming blurb all runs together....check out the original and try to
format it like that, so its a bit clearer.  Rememer that the contents of this
post should be published in a final spec file that's hosted on the LDraw.org
server.

The naming of files and titles will also follow a set standard. That
standard is:
[1] File Name
xxxxm-yyyyy.dat - The .mpd file of main.dat  It packages all the files into
one file.
main.dat - Main instructions; Basically a display of the submodel files and
errors.dat
m-1.dat - First model in the main instructions
m-1a.dat - First submodel of the first model
m-1aa.dat - First component of the first submodel of the first model
m-1ab.dat - Second component of the first submodel of the first model
m-1b.dat - Second submodel of the first model
m-1ba.dat - First component of the second submodel of the first model
m-2.dat - Second model in the main instructions
This would continue in a similar pattern.
mf-1.dat - The first minifig to appear in the main instructions
mf-2.dat - The second minifig to appear in the main instructions
This would also continue in a similar pattern. Minifig are inserted into
their respective model.
errors.dat - A list of missing pieces and patterns, see 'Missing Pieces' • below.
For sets with instructions for multiple models such as Technic or Model Team
sets, use the following naming for the alternate model.
alt.dat - Main instructions of the alternate model. See description of
'main.dat' above
a-1.dat - First model of the alternate model
a-1a.dat - First submodel of the first model of the alternate instructions
This would the continue in the same pattern as that of the main model.
In instances where instructions are given for more than two models, use the
following:
alt2.dat - Main instructions of the second alternate model
a2-1.dat - First model of the second alternate model
This would continue to follow the set pattern for file naming.

Way too much and a bit garbled.  Again, look at
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=251 and try to format it so its a tad easier
to read and digest.

[2] Title Name
for xxxxm-yyyyy.mpd - Set Number & Set Name
for main.dat - Set Number & Set Name
for m-1.dat - Set Number & Set Name, model name
for m-1a.dat - Set Number & Set Name, model name, submodel name
for m-1aa.dat - Set Number & Set Name, model name, submodel name, component • name
This pattern would continue to be followed and would also be used for the
alternate models.

Whoa... all of the header stuff should be in the same place.  With the rest of
the header stuff.

OPTIONAL MODIFIER
An optional modifier is used only when there are more than one set in a
particular year which both bear the same set number. This usually takes
place with the multi-packs from the 80's and 90's, but may also occur in
other sets. It is used in both the sub-category structure and the name of
the .mpd file.
To see where the optional modifier is place, see 'Sub-Categories' above.

Should be defined up by the filename breakdown.

MISSING PIECES
In regards to missing pieces, unmodeled parts will have a comment with a
description of the part and their color inserted their place. For patterned
parts which have not yet been designed, the unpatterned version of the part
will be used and a comment describing the pattern and its color(if
applicable) will be inserted after the part.

A list of all missing pieces, both unmodelled parts and undesigned patterns,
will be listed as comments in a file named 'errors.dat'.

Good.

SUBMISSION
Models that meet the requirements stated above may be submitted to
repository@ldraw.org for review and to be added to the repository.
We request that you use original instructions, although you may also use
scans from www.brickshelf.com  It is also a good idea to have the model in
hand so you can see how parts go together.
All pieces, including minifig accessories and patterned pieces, must be used
if they are available, if they are not, see 'Missing Pieces' above.
Models that already exist in the repository will not be replaced by those of
another author.

TERMS
Set - Display of every model; The complete set from the box.
Model - Individual model within the set; Models are things such as planes,
cars, buildings, etc.

Good.

Submodel - Sub-assembly of a model; reflect the submodels in the
instructions that are either of a series of pieces which must be rotated or
that contain > steps.

Maybe add something to the effect of side-steps, expanded instructions for
separate units, and in the spec, perhaps even a graphical example of a submodel
in instructions.

Component - Sub-assembly of a submodel; also see second definition of
'submodel'.
Minifig - Specific to a minifigure submodel within the set.

Perhaps put terms above the file name breakdown, so people know exactly what it
refers to?

Sorry to appear so nit-picky.  All the content here is ok and accurate, it just
needs to be formatted into something easier to read and comprehend.

Thanks a ton for working on this Ryan!!  Leonardo has expressed interest to me
in the OMR, I told him to familiarize himself with these threads.  I think he
has thoughts on a storage system.  Then again, i'm talking about so much LDraw
stuff now (off Lugnet) that my brain is spinning... :^)

-Tim