Re: LDraw.org Official Model Repository Standards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:24:30 GMT

Good job Ryan,

Thanks for summarizing the long awaited OMR guidelines.

Two comments:

1.
Having the error.dat file is a right place to declare the eventual incompleteness of the model (missing, yet unmodelled parts etc).
I would require the modellers to exactly list all items of incompleteness. Later the author or somebody else could review this list
and improve the model as new the missing parts get modelled. This raises the need that models must have version numbers and
consequently version history.

So I suggest to rename errors.dat to history.dat and slightly formalize the items in the history list. (e.g. version number, date,
action, author name, actual missing part list, separtor, etc. ) The missing part list also is good indication for boring part
authors to get clues what to model next :-).

2.
It is a correct approach to pack _all_ dat files in a *.mpd file, because this way all modells of a set is wrapped in one single
file. However, if the set contains more than one model (or even more alternate models) and its all alternate models are together in
one *.mpd file what will happen if I open it in ldite or l3p. Only the main model will be displayed or all models on top of each
other? If the first then it is difficult to have the alternate models displayed (you have to cut out the alternate model in separate
file?).

So I suggest the beside the main.dat file one or more scene.dat file should be optionally included the *.mpd file, that could
represent some nice arrangement of the models and minifigs, approximating the usually last instruction picture in the booklet. The
main.dat should serve the hierarchically group the set, while the scene.dat file(s) could serve to yield a nice display. Of course
in the case of simple sets the scene file would be unnecessary.

Ampi

---------------------------------------
Imre Papp
Geometria GIS Systems House
  email: ipapp@geometria.hu

Ryan Dennett <rdennett@firehousemail.com> wrote in message news:G8vs4v.K4s@lugnet.com...
I think that most everything has been covered, but if not just let me know
and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you for your patience while I have been preparing this.
I think that is all for now.

Ryan Dennett

OMR Standards follow...