 CAD / Development / 5780
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:23:25 GMT

Leonardo Zide wrote:

John VanZwieten wrote:

It may be worth to note here that the binary format for LeoCAD falls
into the former category.  And as Leonardo Zide has said, James Jessiman
did allow him to redistribute the transformed parts library independent
from the main LDraw distribution.  I don't know if this should be given
any precedence?

It certainly should be given weight in any discussion of LeoCAD, and might
help set precedent.  Was giving credit to LDraw and part authors on your
web site part of your agreement, Leonardo?  Were there any other
stipulations?

  James didn't want me to distribute the library in the original format,
because he wanted to have the original library available only from his
page but after I told him that I was using a modified format he said
there were no problems. If you consider what he said then ldraw.org is
not allowed to redistribute the library, from what he told me he didn't
even want to have mirrors.

Tim will have to correct us, but I believe that James's family has given
Tim permission to continue publishing James's work. This is probably
something which should be properly ironed out with the Jessiman's. They
will have to decide to what extent to allow James's work to be expanded
upon. Hopefully that will result in a living product since from the
sounds of it, without modification of James's policies, then LDraw is a
dead end work. My guess is that his parents want us to be able to
continue (hmm, interesting question - are there any memorial funds or
anything in James's name? If so, people requiring commercial licenses
could be asked to contribute to those funds).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com