 CAD / Development / 5650
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:05:32 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In view of the implications contained in *this*:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=880   w.r.t. designing your own custom
sets for TLC to manufacture for you... I think it is *extremely* important
to do so.

I would want the "free designing program" to be compatible with what has
gone before, or better yet, to actually USE the LDraw format rather than
requiring a conversion step. So I'd like TLC to be able to use it. Heck, I
hope they license MLCad and just give people that. The thought of a CREATOR
style drawing interface makes me blanch.

  When TLG offered me a job, my first task would be to work in that
project so I know what this is all about. I signed an NDA when I was in
Billund and I can't talk about it but I think I can say that unless they
changed their plans, they won't use the LDraw format.

In view of that, I think it's critical that whatever license we do work, and
further, I think it's critical we drive this to resolution ASAP.

In fact, I think someone ought to contact TLC legal to see if we can get
some participation on their part to see what's acceptable to them.

  I don't think they care about it, they have their own library and
won't use our.

Unless people think that TLC bringing out an incompatible format that
doesn't interconvert is a good thing, that is.

  Do you think they will prefer a format compatible with their existing
applications or compatible with ours ? Remember that AFOLs never were a
high priority for them, otherwise we wouldn't have Town Jr.

PS, Leonardo, I think Steve is right about the gaps in your latest proposal.
Authors have different needs than users.

  And what needs do authors have ? I've asked this before and I didn't
get an answer. As a (somewhat retired) parts author, I only want to have
credit for my work, I don't care about what people do with my parts.

Leonardo