 CAD / Development / 5680
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:50:25 GMT

John VanZwieten wrote:
  I don't think anyone will ever sell a program using our parts but I
also don't want to be forced to pay anything to use such program either.
GPL says that if the library is used in another application then the
application must also be GPL, so you don't need to worry about it.

Cool.  That works for me.

I'm not absolutely convinced that it's good to require any program which
uses the library to be GPLed, but what I am absolutely convinced is that
we don't want to restrict a program which uses a proprietary file format
and parts library from providing a file converter. If they have to GPL
their converter, then you have just about forced them to GPL their file
format (and from some explanations of how GPL works, just forced them to
GPL the next version of their program). In any case, if they have to GPL
the converter program, the only converter program you will ever see is a
fan created one built by reverse engineering the file format (and if
there are any patents involved in the file format, even a fan created
converter may get shut down).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com