 CAD / Development / 5694
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:24:22 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Again, care needs to be taken here. If the program is a program which
converts the library itself, requiring it to be liberally licensed may
be reasonable. A conversion program which just converts a LDraw .DAT to
a new format which will use a different library is a different ball of
wax, we don't want to kill the possibility of converters between
commercial programs with proprietary (and potentially patented or
otherwise protected in some way preventing fan creation of the
converter) file formats and LDraw.

  Agreed. I meant converting the library, not converting a model created
with the library. Remember, we can always add a line saying "If you need
the library released under a different license, write to ask
permission".

With some of those thoughts in mind, what the LDraw library license
should cover is distribution and inclusion of the library itself. I'm
not sure how much can be done to protect the library from being
converted (and note that a tool which renders an LDraw model into say
POV-RAY is effectively converting the library).

  Yes, maybe requiring the source code for conversion programs is not a
good idea, adding something like this would require L2P/L3P to have
their source available and it seems that the authors don't want this.
Maybe requiring the source code for conversion programs only for
commercial applications would solve this ?

Leonardo