 CAD / Development / 5651
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:06:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In view of the implications contained in *this*:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=880   w.r.t. designing your own custom
sets for TLC to manufacture for you... I think it is *extremely* important
to do so.

I would want the "free designing program" to be compatible with what has
gone before, or better yet, to actually USE the LDraw format rather than
requiring a conversion step. So I'd like TLC to be able to use it. Heck, I
hope they license MLCad and just give people that. The thought of a CREATOR
style drawing interface makes me blanch.

When TLG offered me a job, my first task would be to work in that
project so I know what this is all about. I signed an NDA when I was in
Billund and I can't talk about it but I think I can say that unless they
changed their plans, they won't use the LDraw format.

That's information you have and we didn't... so I defer, gladly. However I
do want to repeat this:

The thought of a CREATOR style drawing interface makes me blanch.

Do you think they will prefer a format compatible with their existing
applications or compatible with ours ? Remember that AFOLs never were a
high priority for them, otherwise we wouldn't have Town Jr.

Well, I know what *I* prefer anyway. Open source is better than closed
source, LDraw format, warts and all, is at least publicly documented. If
they don't at least release the format of their info and the parts files,
making an intercoverter at least theoretically possible, we will lose all
the models created so far and people will basically have to start modeling
all over. I don't see that as a good thing, do you?

If they're open to working with us, I think they'll take it into
consideration. I imagine some AFOLs will be raising this point with them
directly in the not too distant future, in some capacity or another.

PS, Leonardo, I think Steve is right about the gaps in your latest proposal.
Authors have different needs than users.

And what needs do authors have ? I've asked this before and I didn't
get an answer. As a (somewhat retired) parts author, I only want to have
credit for my work, I don't care about what people do with my parts.

Not all parts authors necessarily have that viewpoint so we need to make it
explicit that will be the result.

I think some review of what went before is in order and I'll try to do that
before posting again.

++Lar