 CAD / Development / 5682
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 06:45:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:

I don't think anyone will ever sell a program using our parts but I
also don't want to be forced to pay anything to use such program either.
GPL says that if the library is used in another application then the
application must also be GPL, so you don't need to worry about it.

Leonardo

Pardon me for jumping into the middle here, but as an application developer,
this is my statement on this point:

I've put in about a hundred hours into my parts-using app BrickDraw3D.  I'm
willing to give the program away but not on GPL terms. If GPL were somehow a
requirement, I would just kill the project out of principle.

My reasons are probably the usual ones that led to the creation of the LGPL and
other licenses, which don't try to impose terms on your original work (requiring
distribution of just the LGPL portions.)

As part of developing BrickDraw3D, I contribute source code to an LGPL project,
Quesa, a 3D graphics framework. Portions of my code are also in LDGLite. I
believe I am giving adequate value in trade by contributing to the libraries I
use--perhaps eventually the parts library too. Certainly I am creating a parts-
editor, which opens even more doors.

Like your position on the parts themselves, I am protective of my work too. The
way I see it, strict GPL undermines cooperation.

For the record, I intend to release source code to my app under Artistic
License. (I like Perl...)  Beyond some level of development, I will try to go
the shareware route--and there, again, is why a parts license is necessary.

-Erik