 CAD / Development / 5662
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:35:40 GMT

Is this about a license for parts-builders or the format of the DAT files ?

Personally I think the current DAT file structure is the best there is .
Of course one would want higher quality outputs from Povray like the heads
i've seen in other threads on lugnet.
But one could also wish to include some opengl-tricks like
reflection-vectors on edges to mimic curves.
However, I don't like to see this directly included in the DAT files, since
the current DAT files are very simple to learn, being just a collection of
points. Perhaps parts-builders might in the future be disencouraged if they
see so complex files. I'd prefer to have different libraries.

Of course, if you want to let TLC do all the work, then you can just wait.
But I don't think you could just ask for a feature or change and then
actually get it, like you can do now on the mlcad newsgroup.
And you'd have to pay for every library update or every time they added a
new feature or fixed a bug.

Anyway, I love the fact that it's an open standard for which anyone can
write a tool that may help other people to design their models.

Koen