 CAD / Development / 5660
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:14:43 GMT

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
news:G55oJJ.M9@lugnet.com...
I hear you clearly now Larry. However, on reflection, I still think the • cost
of providing a ldraw import ability into CREATOR II (Son of Creator - or • is
that blasphemy?) will be more than the benefits it would supply to the
_public_. You have to remember, the ldraw user base is small - and even
right now many users choose not to distribute dat files.

The "user" base may be small, but the "viewer" base is much larger.  How
many times have you seen an LDraw'n model and thought, "I have got to
build one of those."  If someone who doesn't use LDraw could find a .dat
file and send it to LEGO to have a kit created, then the existing base of
LDraw'n creations becomes a huge benefit to LEGO.

If, on the other hand, only files created with LEGO's software can be
turned into kits, then LEGO starts out with a fan-created-model base of
zero.  Now if they include a converter, then at least with a little effort
fans can make use of the existing model base.

-John Van