 CAD / Development / 5663
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:58:11 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

Right, but that's an implied understanding, not an explicit agreement.

Basically, there should be a "part submission" page on ldraw.org.  One of
the features of that page should be a link to a full contributor's
agreement.  Another necessary feature is a checkbox that says "I've read
and I accept the contributor's agreement".

  Yes, just like when you go to the Terms of Use page on LUGNET.

The agreement itself would need the following terms:

1. When you contribute something to ldraw.org, you don't get it back.

  No, it's not like you're giving away a physical object, you're just
allowing it to be redistributed under another license.

2. You grant ldraw.org the right to include your work in the parts library,
distributed under terms of the 'distribution license'.

  Ok.

3. ldraw.org can change the distribution license, if necessary.

  As long as users can still use older versions of the library. This a
standard thing:

"This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
(at your option) any later version."

PS: Why don't we use LGPL ?

I don't remember.  Why don't we.

  Larry just said in another message that he agrees with the zlib
license. I'll accept either GPL or zlib, does anyone have any concerns
that are not covered by those licenses ?

Leonardo