 CAD / Development / 5679
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:35:55 GMT

"Leonardo Zide" <leonardo@centroin.com.br> wrote in message
news:3A35795E.D2224CEE@centroin.com.br...
John VanZwieten wrote:

1.  Derivative works:

In a situation where someone uses my parts in an LCad program to • create a
model and make pretty pictures of it, I don't want to restrict in any • way
their claim to copyrights of those pictures or even the model file (as
long as use of that model file needs the parts library to be viewed.)

  Someone gave an example about a text that was written with a
copyrighted font, I think the same principle applies here.

If that person were to distribute their model in a way that the parts
library was not needed (for example inlining all the parts) then the
information about the authorship of the parts should be included in • such a
distribution.

  In this case the person is redistributing a part of the library, so he
must comply to the license terms. IANAL.

Any application which transforms the parts library (i.e. LeoCAD, some • VMRL
converter, or L3P) should also include information about part • authorship.
I know L3P does this nicely, what about LeoCAD?

  The text on the homepage says that the parts library was created
mostly by James Jessiman and has a link to his pages. The documentation
also lists the authors (from the time when I wrote it) but it's really
outdated, if anyone has a complete list please send it to me and I'll
update it. If you feel this is not enough, just say what you want to be
changed and I'll do it, I don't want to take credit for other people's
work.

The ideal would be to somehow have the author's name associated with the
part, but I seem to recall that LeoCAD lumps all the parts into one file
that can't be read with a text editor.  How do you associate a part's
description with the part?  Perhaps the author could be associated in a
similar way.  I guess it's not a huge issue for me (and I certainly don't
want to cause you unneeded hassle), but just imagine if LeoCAD someday
became the only LCAD program in use--how would someone determine a given
part's author in order to contact them with possible changes?

  I don't think anyone will ever sell a program using our parts but I
also don't want to be forced to pay anything to use such program either.
GPL says that if the library is used in another application then the
application must also be GPL, so you don't need to worry about it.

Cool.  That works for me.

-John Van