 CAD / Development / 5649
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:54:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:
Last time we talked about a license for the parts library we couldn't
reach an agreement, so here I am again trying to wrap this up.

I thought we were close to having the right mods in a previous draft.

I know
this is a boring subject but let's try to reach an agreement.

In view of the implications contained in *this*:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=880   w.r.t. designing your own custom
sets for TLC to manufacture for you... I think it is *extremely* important
to do so.

I would want the "free designing program" to be compatible with what has
gone before, or better yet, to actually USE the LDraw format rather than
requiring a conversion step. So I'd like TLC to be able to use it. Heck, I
hope they license MLCad and just give people that. The thought of a CREATOR
style drawing interface makes me blanch.

In view of that, I think it's critical that whatever license we do work, and
further, I think it's critical we drive this to resolution ASAP.

In fact, I think someone ought to contact TLC legal to see if we can get
some participation on their part to see what's acceptable to them.

Unless people think that TLC bringing out an incompatible format that
doesn't interconvert is a good thing, that is.

PS, Leonardo, I think Steve is right about the gaps in your latest proposal.
Authors have different needs than users.

++Lar