 CAD / Development / 5664
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:39:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

The agreement itself would need the following terms:

1. When you contribute something to ldraw.org, you don't get it back.

No, it's not like you're giving away a physical object, you're just
allowing it to be redistributed under another license.

Right.  But it's a non-revokable allowance.  You can't change your mind
later, and force the removal of your contribution from the library.

3. ldraw.org can change the distribution license, if necessary.

As long as users can still use older versions of the library.

This point wouldn't affect users.  It's telling contributors that they are
agreeing to something that could change in the future.

This a
standard thing:

"This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
(at your option) any later version."

PS: Why don't we use LGPL ?

I don't remember.  Why don't we.

Larry just said in another message that he agrees with the zlib
license. I'll accept either GPL or zlib, does anyone have any concerns
that are not covered by those licenses ?

Dunno.  I'm not familiar enough with those licenses to give informed
consent of the top of my head.  I'll have to go look them up.

Steve