 CAD / Development / 5653
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:13:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:

I agree. But it is a sunk cost. Do you still buy vinyl because you have a
record player - or did you move to CD as it was better? (dear reader :
please go to .debate to discuss vinyl v CD )

Just to raise a point, I have both, as both have their place.

Disregarding  sunk costs is a basic law of economics.  The key question is:
“do the benefits of the new approach outweigh the cost of running two CAD
programmes?”  I expect the answer is yes.

I'd be in favour of any LEGO drafting programme which:
1. Has a complete range of parts in all colours.
2. Gives 3d, as well as plan elevation view.
3. Gives output in POV type quality.
4. A 10 year old can use it within 30 minutes.
5. Installs via one  set-up file.
6. Allowing some sort of interface with AutoCAD would also be good.

Great list of attributes. However, they didn't hire Leonardo, for whatever
reason, so we may or may not be able to count on them actually happening.

Sunk cost
"The business equivalent of guilt. The equivalent to a membership fee which
is lost if it cannot be used. They represent the money invested in a project
which is already spent. Decisions should be based on the value of future
investments and not on how much has been spent."

I've some familiarity with Sunk Cost, thanks. I'm not sure it applies here,
at least not in the case of evaluating the economic benefit of a convertor,
although it certainly does in the case of evaluating the labor involved in
creating the designs originally...

(for those who need to read up, here's a ref Scott gave me a while back:
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Academic/Price_Theory/PThy_ToC.html then click on
chapter 13)

++Lar