 CAD / Development / 5654
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:22:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

The only problem is, this license is no use without an Authors/Contributors
license to go with it.

I still couldn't understand what do you call "contributor's license".
The way I understand it is that when someone submits a part to the
voting process, they are allowing it to be redistributed under the
"redistribution license".

Right, but that's an implied understanding, not an explicit agreement.

Basically, there should be a "part submission" page on ldraw.org.  One of
the features of that page should be a link to a full contributor's
agreement.  Another necessary feature is a checkbox that says "I've read
and I accept the contributor's agreement".

The agreement itself would need the following terms:

1. When you contribute something to ldraw.org, you don't get it back.
2. You grant ldraw.org the right to include your work in the parts library,
distributed under terms of the 'distribution license'.
3. ldraw.org can change the distribution license, if necessary.

And I think this is one is *too* brief.

Is there any point that is not covered by it ? I suggested to use it
as a starting point, I was expecting some feedback to add more
restrictions.

Whatever.  If we get a contributors agreement, and everyone accepts it (ie,
they agree to abide by, not that they agree to it's content), then we can
adjust the distribution license later, if we want.

PS: Why don't we use LGPL ?

I don't remember.  Why don't we.

Steve