 CAD / Development / 5659
Re: License - again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:09:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Scott Arthur writes:
I hear you clearly now Larry. However, on reflection, I still think the cost
of providing a ldraw import ability into CREATOR II (Son of Creator – or is
that blasphemy?) will be more than the benefits it would supply to the
_public_.

Right. Now you're asking the right question. I don't know the answer.

You have to remember, the ldraw user base is small - and even
right now many users choose not to distribute dat files.

True. For instance me.

But if a workable royalty scheme and a searchable catalog were introduced, I
think I'd be designing like mad and putting one after another up there for
people to order.

What I am afraid of with the catalog is that we would get a dumping ground
of designs, some not so good, and no good way to search them for the works
of particular designers so we could winnow out the chaff.

Let's face it, do you want to peruse just James Mathis train designs or 99
"joe 8 yearold does a boxcar" for each good one?

Personally, I'd
rather the system being compatible with LEGO’s own instructions DB was a
priority - rather than dat files. It me be that  LEGO will leave the
backdoor open for us to code our own converter?

That would be better than nothing. In fact I don't, on reflection, think I
am arguing for TLC to do a native LDraw format tool that obsoletes their own
libs, that's ridiculous, really.

But if they could, for example, license MLCad for those of us that know what
we are doing, (yes, it violates some of your feature list) I would love it
and I suspect a lot of other AFOLs would too.

And Steve Bliss has convinced me that the license issue may not be as
important to TLC as I thought. But for tidiness sake we ought to finish.

I took another look at the zlib license, since it doesn't restrict what I
can do with parts once contributed, as a parts consumer I have no issues.

++Lar