 CAD / Development / 3115
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 21:00:07 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

[snip]
Do you want suggestions of difficult bricks to test against?

2560 (Boat Base 8 x 16) is pretty ugly.  It's a big file, there are lots of
nooks and crannies, and I had to cut apart various primitives to make it
all go.  If you test on this brick, I can also send you the final set of
files, un-inlined.

Ok, I can announce that my code actually orient ~10000 faces of 2560,
BUT 4.

In a previous version, 40 faces remain unoriented. After I checked all
distances between the ~12000 of the part, I have discovered that some
distances were very small (less than .1 ldraw units). Thus, I have added
a tolerance option that allow the user the choose the minimum distance
between points. If the distance between 2 points is less than the
tolerance, points are considered the same.

I plan to study the distance distribution in all parts to check for
rounding problems. Then I will have to check other parts. I started with
some technic bricks. 3700 and 3601 are ok, but 3703 need a tolerance of
0.01 (rounding problems again!).

I really think my code can do a pretty good job in automatically
orienting faces!

Steve

bye
jp