 CAD / Development / 2982
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 14:15:02 GMT

Michael Lachmann wrote in message ...
What if say a complient file contains anything starting with "0 CW". Any
program dealing with this information could just scan for "0 CW*". We also
could use a tag "0 AW*" if why ever the orientation is not clock-wice but
anti-clockwice .... I think a program could deal with that also (just the
sign is different !?).

I retract my earlier suggestion.

I'd prefer to test for '0 CW-compliant' than '0 CW*' because checking for an
exact string match is usually easier.  Not supporting wildcards also
promotes consistency.  Consistency is a Good Thing(tm).

Also, what if 'CW' was someone's initials, and they wanted just their
initials to appear in the file?  It could mistakenly be considered
clockwise-compliant. :)

So if we can define this as a standard, I will build this into MLCad and
Version1.5 and above could make use of this feature (which should speed up
drawing a little bit). By the way any idea how many parts already have this
tag?

My LDraw folder has seven DAT files with '0 CW*', none with '0 CCW*', and 30
with '0 not CW*'.

The seven '0 CW*' files are:

PARTS\973P14.DAT
PARTS\973P15.DAT
PARTS\973P16.DAT
PARTS\973P17.DAT
PARTS\973P18.DAT
PARTS\973P52.DAT
PARTS\578.DAT

Note that 578.DAT contains a suspicious comment :)

I think my part files are current.

-Gary