 CAD / Development / 2988
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:46:03 GMT

Gary Williams wrote:

Jean-Pierre PARIS wrote in message <37F3B871.74AE196F@wanadoo.fr>...
[snip]

My algorithm doesn't require the vertices to exactly match; I was intending
to pass one ray per polygon through the dat object, not an arbitrarily large
number.  And only if a ray penetrated an even number of polygons would those
polygons be automatically processed.

Sorry, but I think that the even/odd algorithm only work on 'correct'
solids.
For example, if you take a 'bad' box made of 6 faces that have holes
beween them, your algorithm can lit an inside face. And in some parts,
such a situation exists. Thus my first too that tries to suppres these
holes, which came after rounding coordinates numbers

[snip]
That's a clever algorithm.

Thanks! But I would be really happy if my code could be used to start
the orientation process for all Ldraw bricks!

Assuming (after all close vertices are matched up) that no polygons have
zero neighbors, after determining the orientation of one polygon, you could
visit each neighboring polygon (somewhat like a flood fill algorithm) and
determine its orientation easily.  Only one ray would be needed in the
entire process.

I have coded this flood fill algo. The main problem has be mentioned
above: for some reason, all parts are not made with matching edges. For
example, the studs primitive simply sits on the box5. In other parts,
one can encouter rounding pbs...

So you have to launch more than one ray OR to build a real solid.
Another tool I coded tried to do this buiding but it has not been really
successful...

-Gary

bye
jp