 CAD / Development / 2969
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 18:25:47 GMT

Leonardo Zide wrote in message <37F4ECA7.C0BFCF7D@centroin.com.br>...
Steve Bliss wrote:
I'm willing to change my parts, if the standard changes.  Assuming parts
which are *not* C(C)W need to be flagged at all.

I guess we could at least decide to use CCW to determine the normal of
a face, unless there's someone who prefers to use CW ?

I'd vote for CW for two reasons:

1) 'Clockwise' is shorter than 'counterclockwise'.

2) CW is used more often than CCW in rendering applications (to my
knowledge) because the normal of a CW-defined polygon points outward,
instead of inward.

I'd also suggest that the standard comment read '0 CW' instead of '0
CW-compliant'.  Less chance for typographical error if the file was created
manually.

Non-compliant parts shouldn't have any tag, IMO, since a file with no tag
wouldn't be treated any different from a file with '0 not CW'.  It would be
redundant.

-Gary