 CAD / Development / 2990
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 02:38:06 GMT

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:46:03 GMT, Jean-Pierre PARIS
<Paris.Jean-Pierre@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Sorry, but I think that the even/odd algorithm only work on 'correct'
solids.
For example, if you take a 'bad' box made of 6 faces that have holes
beween them, your algorithm can lit an inside face. And in some parts,
such a situation exists. Thus my first too that tries to suppres these
holes, which came after rounding coordinates numbers

This isn't automatic, but what if the program interrogates the user to pick
a side which is facing outward?  From that information, the program could
then mark-up all adjacent sides.  If the program ran out of sides, it could
re-interrogate for another side.

This wouldn't be a usuable approach for an on-the-fly rendering program,
but it would work for a utility which is fixing up parts in the library.

Steve