 CAD / Development / 3020
Re: Interpreting the proposed FACE meta-command
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:27:33 GMT

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:24:17 GMT, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre
Andersen) wrote:

Gary Williams:

The meta-command:

0 FACE <CW|CCW|DS|UNKNOWN>

...should only be used to indicate the order of the vertices of the polygons
_in the file that contains it_.

Very sensible (now that Steve has convinced me).

While we're discussing this I'd like to propose abbreviating the
'DOUBLE-SIDED' parameter to simply 'DS'.

Hmm. I don't like it, but we have already abbreviated
(counter)clockwise, so it does make sense to abbreviate
double-sided too. :-(

Why not recognize it all ways:

0 FACE ACW
0 FACE ANTICLOCKWISE
0 FACE CCW
0 FACE CLOCKWISE
0 FACE COUNTERCLOCKWISE
0 FACE CW
0 FACE DOUBLESIDED
0 FACE DS
0 FACE UNKNOWN

This adds a bit to the parser, but not so much.

The recommended standard for primitives, parts, and subparts should be the
short versions:

0 FACE CCW
0 FACE CW
0 FACE DS
0 FACE UNKNOWN

I didn't list a short version for 0 FACE UNKNOWN because (a) it won't be
used often, after a possible file-fixing transition period, and (b) it's
somewhat anamolous, and should be clearly marked.

Steve