 CAD / Development / 2974
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 22:02:16 GMT

Gary Williams wrote:

I'd vote for CW for two reasons:

1) 'Clockwise' is shorter than 'counterclockwise'.

  I can't argue with that :)

2) CW is used more often than CCW in rendering applications (to my
knowledge) because the normal of a CW-defined polygon points outward,
instead of inward.

  No way ! The front faces are CCW in 3DS Max, and quoting the OpenGL
1.2 specs. for glFrontFace() "mode: Specifies the orientation of
front-facing polygons. GL_CW and GL_CCW are accepted. The initial value
is GL_CCW."

  Just use your right hand instead of the left and you'll get outward
normals. Do things just like when you try to imagine the signal of the
cross-product between two vectors.

I'd also suggest that the standard comment read '0 CW' instead of '0
CW-compliant'.  Less chance for typographical error if the file was created
manually.

  You can also save a few bytes using only 0 (C)CW.

Leonardo