 CAD / Development / 3046
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:21:54 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:17:06 GMT, Jean-Pierre PARIS
<Paris.Jean-Pierre@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Gary Williams wrote:
[snip]
How does that work?  Is it based on what the majority of the rays
deterimine?  I probably need to re-read some of the messages in this
thread, to get a better idea of this process.

I choose rays so that they may orient one face. With this face I use a
sort of flood-fill algorithm (please try to find on of my previuos
message) to orient al neighbors. Once a face is oriented, I don't look
at it anymore. But, your idea could make my code more robust. I'll think
about that!

Now all the std bricks are OK, without any
assumption about the fact that they are mainly composed of 2 box5 and a
lot of studs. The general algorithm is working well here.

So do you 'drill into' primitives?

I regenerate all the files that are used to make up the part I want to
orient. If one primitive is used twice with 2 different sides lit, I
have to produce 2 different files with inverted orientation.

[snip]
Do you want suggestions of difficult bricks to test against?

2560 (Boat Base 8 x 16) is pretty ugly.  It's a big file, there are lots of
nooks and crannies, and I had to cut apart various primitives to make it
all go.  If you test on this brick, I can also send you the final set of
files, un-inlined.

GOOD POINT! You dicovered 2 bugs in my code!!!!! Ok now, one is
corrected but it'll take more time to correct the second one. Then I'll
post the results here...

[snip]

Package it so the fixer doesn't need a JDK, and send it to a lot of people.

To do that I have to check what's Sun offer. I can afford VisualJ++.
And event  after I packaged it, it would be a rather big zip! Let me
take time to see if I can manage something correct...

Steve

bye
jp