 CAD / Development / 2906
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:36:44 GMT

John VanZwieten wrote in message ...
If you run a LUGNET search on backface culling, you'll find extensive
discussion of this.  Some parts (mostly done by Steve Bliss) have a "0 CW-
Compliant" tag, which means you can use backface culling on them.

It would be pretty amazing if you could create a utility to automatically • fix
other parts.  Even if you fix the vertex order of polygons, you have to • worry
about the transformations applied to primitives and subparts in a part • file.
And then you'd have to adjust for transformations applied to parts and
submodels in a model file.

Would be great to save 1/2 the rendering time, though.

-John Van

Thanks for the tip, I'll run a search.

Actually I think I've worked out in my mind an automatic clockwise-sorting
algorithm.  It will fail for primitives like studs which are not closed
polyhedra, but I assume most parts are in fact closed. :) (It can detect
whether manual tweaking may be necessary).

-Gary