 CAD / Development / 3017
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:27:27 GMT

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:17:06 GMT, Jean-Pierre PARIS
<Paris.Jean-Pierre@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Gary Williams wrote:

[snip]
Maybe it would be simpler to just manually set the vertex order of the first
polygon, let the program fix that polygon's neighbors and its neighbors'
neighbors, and if any polygons are left then ask the user to set the vertex
order of one of those remaining, and repeat the process.

I really don't like programs that need user interactions for such job!

Neither do I, but I also know how hard it is to visually check a part for
errors.

Thus I tried to cast enough rays so that all the faces are being
oriented correctly.

How does that work?  Is it based on what the majority of the rays
deterimine?  I probably need to re-read some of the messages in this
thread, to get a better idea of this process.

Now all the std bricks are OK, without any
assumption about the fact that they are mainly composed of 2 box5 and a
lot of studs. The general algorithm is working well here.

So do you 'drill into' primitives?

If the pressure of all Ldrawers grows, I'll try to take time, and check
my code against more parts. If someone has good ideas of difficult
bricks, please let me know!

Do you want suggestions of difficult bricks to test against?

2560 (Boat Base 8 x 16) is pretty ugly.  It's a big file, there are lots of
nooks and crannies, and I had to cut apart various primitives to make it
all go.  If you test on this brick, I can also send you the final set of
files, un-inlined.

There are only 1600+ part files, after all...we could use a group of
volunteers to divide the task, and get every part fixed in a week's time. :)

Get ready with a Java dev. kit, and I can send my code to you!!!

Package it so the fixer doesn't need a JDK, and send it to a lot of people.

Steve