 CAD / Development / 2951
Re: Hidden surface removal, and vertex order in part/primitive DAT files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 04:21:39 GMT

You mentioned that some parts have a "0 CW-Compliant" tag. Could we do
something to make this a standard? Because than I could read this tag in
MLCad and make the drawing faster!!!!!

Tell me what you think!

Mike

discussion of this.  Some parts (mostly done by Steve Bliss) have a "0 CW-
Compliant" tag, which means you can use backface culling on them.

John VanZwieten wrote in message ...
In lugnet.cad.dev, Gary Williams writes:
I performed some hidden surface removal tests today (I should have been
working on other things, like the inventory file cleanup utility...) and • it
appears that there isn't a standard order for listing vertices in DAT • files
(I only tested a few elements, and my code may be flawed, so I may be
wrong).

A common technique in the rendering world is to always specify vertices of • a
polygon in clockwise order (clockwise as viewed from the outside of the
polyhedra that contains it).  This cuts the rendering time in half by
allowing the rendering algorithm to ignore the polygons that face away • from
the observer (assuming there are no transparent polygons through which the
observer might see the backside of another polygon).

This technique can also cut in half the amount of time required to • determine
which polygon the user clicked on when selecting elements in a model, • since
you can't click on a polygon that's facing away from you, so half the
polygons don't need to be tested.

So...I've got half a mind to write a utility that will load every existing
part and primitive file and analyze them and automatically tweak the • vertex
orders of all the polygons.  But I thought I'd mention the idea first.

-Gary

If you run a LUGNET search on backface culling, you'll find extensive
discussion of this.  Some parts (mostly done by Steve Bliss) have a "0 CW-
Compliant" tag, which means you can use backface culling on them.

It would be pretty amazing if you could create a utility to automatically • fix
other parts.  Even if you fix the vertex order of polygons, you have to • worry
about the transformations applied to primitives and subparts in a part • file.
And then you'd have to adjust for transformations applied to parts and
submodels in a model file.

Would be great to save 1/2 the rendering time, though.

-John Van