 CAD / 8003
Re: pictures at tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 20:07:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kyle McDonald writes:
Steve Bliss wrote:
We've basically got one, although it might not be very efficient.  Right
now, it spits out a file of lines like:

So something could be written that would convert this to Make format
or it could read the files themselves.

Or the something that creates the file could write the Make format itself.

Yes, because the s/ is in the datfile, and if it was kept in the
dependency file, Make would look for s/973s01.dat in all the directories
in the vpath, or VPATH. That will work.

OK.  The current dependency file already includes the location (up to p/ or
parts/), but if that work could be pushed off on make, it might be worth it.

I wonder if there is any need to keep both official and unofficial
picture libraries though?

I'd rather avoid it.  We've been running at 500+ unofficial files, but there
are almost 2500 official files.  That's a lot of png files!

BUT, if the dependencies target the image files, how can Make track
correctly without images for the official files?

We could make dummy stubs for the official images.

Or we could leave the official files out of the dependency file(s), and do a
full make at each part release.  Official files only change at part release
time; and even then, they're only getting the code that already existed in
the unofficial files, so there's really no changes needed in the unofficial
images.

Well, if someone updates a primitive, like say 'stud.dat' this
*will* cause Make to consider pretty much every .png file to be
'out of date' which will cause it to remake the .png for every
.dat that depends on it. Actually, isn't this is the desired
behavior?

Yes, it is the correct behavior.

The trick is to make sure that this doesn't take CPU cycles away
from the WebServer processes.

Yes.

Something could be done with some
sort of locks so ensure that 2 Makes don't get run at once.

Yes.

Also
it may be possible to use 'nice' or something to have make (and
the commands it runs) run at a lower priority level.

Might be a good idea.

Another alternative would be to run the make on a separate machine.

Blink.  I suppose.  Dunno if that's practical.

Or to not run it when the files are submitted, but instead at
certain intervals during the day.

Maybe.

I would think that a part submission should only cause make to
remake 1 .png. A subpart submission probably would trigger 5-30
.png's to be remade? primitves could cause many many .png's to
be remade.

Subparts *usually* only trigger 1 or 2 other files; some subparts trigger
dozen(s) of other files.

Primitives can trigger anything from 1 to 30+ files.

Maybe changes from parts and sub-parts could be done at
submission, but changes from primitives are done every 4-6 hours?

Or a slightly different method would be, if 3001.dat is submitted,
then only run 'make 3001.png' instead of 'make.' Likewise if
stud.dat were submitted, you could only run 'make stud.png' right
away. Then at some point (maybe midnight) cron could run 'make'
which would update all the other files that depended on the files
that had been submitted that day.

That sounds like it might be a plan.

Steve