 CAD / 8000
RE: pictures at tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 19:15:44 GMT

Kyle wrote:

I love it also. I haven't needed it as much with Java, and it's
been way too long since I've used it with C :(. I'm available to
help, but it sounds like Ralph has it covered.

Thanks. I knew that keeping make in the toolbox would come in handy!

I'd be surprised if there was something a Linux box was missing ;)

Me too, but sometimes you need to make sure!

Well, if someone updates a primitive, like say 'stud.dat' this
*will* cause Make to consider pretty much every .png file to be
'out of date' which will cause it to remake the .png for every
.dat that depends on it. Actually, isn't this is the desired
behavior?

Yes.

Maybe changes from parts and sub-parts could be done at
submission, but changes from primitives are done every 4-6 hours?

Or a slightly different method would be, if 3001.dat is submitted,
then only run 'make 3001.png' instead of 'make.' Likewise if
stud.dat were submitted, you could only run 'make stud.png' right
away. Then at some point (maybe midnight) cron could run 'make'
which would update all the other files that depended on the files
that had been submitted that day.

Exactly. Inference rules can take care of this. Another option
would be to run one of:

make all        - builds everything, like make clean
make parts      - builds images for all parts, with dependency scan
make subparts   - builds images for all sub-parts, with dependency scan
make primitives - builds images for all all primitives

Running things in the background would be a great idea, especially
if rendering wold take a long time. Is the machine serving the parts
tracker in a farm, or in a house? Can we do the builds offline?

Cheers, Ralph