 CAD / 7994
Re: pictures at tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:42:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
Actually, I like Larry's suggestion about using symlinks better.  Could
the parts tracker maintain symlinks to all the official parts in the
unofficial library.  If a new version comes in, the symlink gets replaced
with an actual file.  When the part is approved, the hard file in the
unofficial lib gets replaced with a symlink to the official part.  This
way the ldglite search path code doesn't have to change, and I don't
want to change it because I didn't write either of the parsers, that's
Lars' and Gyug's code.

I think you and Larry are right.

I'd prefer to keep a separate library of symlinked files.  That way, the
unofficial library stays clean.  And I don't have to change any of the
existing scripts that read through the unofficial library.

So, when a new file comes into the unofficial library, a symlink is
created in the symlibrary.  When a new version of an unofficial file is
received, no change to the symlink is necessary.  When a file is made
official, the symlink is replaced with a symlink to the official file.
When a fix to an official file is received, the symlink is changed to
point to the unofficial file.  No problem.

Looking at the readme, there doesn't appear to be an option for the output
file, but this would be best.  -OUTPUT=filepath, or something.

I could've sworn there was an option for this, perhaps it's only in the
ldlite documention, not the ldglite readme.  Anyhow, if there isn't an
option, I'll add one.

I didn't see anything in the LDLite 2.4 when I looked yesterday.  Sorry.

Steve