 CAD / 7982
Re: pictures at tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 04:47:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:

Would it be at all helpful to have a [ref] link on the list page, so you
could quickly call up images of individual parts, but not have them all
force-fed down your pipe?

Yes. Even if you had to go back and forth one part at a time, it would be
better than having to download the DAT file each time.

I was thinking it could work like Peeron's [ref] links, and pop up another
window.  Not a great solution, but easier than having to remember to
right-click the hyperlink all the time (IMO).

I hear you about not downloading 500 images but there is a lot to be said
for Peeron and the contemplative power you get from seeing all those images
together.

I agree.  But I think (and I could be wrong) that people use the PT parts
list differently than a Peeron inventory.  With an inventory, people are
more likely to be interested in the whole thing.  With the PT parts list,
I'd expect that people are more likely to be trying to zoom in on single
entries.  And there are some entries in the PT list (files already
certified) that will be frequently un-useful.

Let's worry about getting the images first, then we can hash out how to
present them in a way that is most useful, and doesn't thrash the server.

Steve