 CAD / 7956
Re: pictures at tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 18:11:39 GMT

(I thought I'd replied to this already, maybe I forgot to click Post?  Or
maybe this will be a duplicate...)

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Um I think I hit send too fast because I *was* talking about the list
page... the detail page probably should just always show the image but on
the list page, let the user toggle.

Ah, ok.  That makes sense.

Right now the list page is one big list
though, which is very convenient. Breaking it up into smaller pages to cut
down the number of images served up may not help because you're going to
scroll through them anyway, one after the other, right?

Yes and no.  Serving up 500+ images on a single page could be considered
counter-productive.  I frequently move between the part list and the various
detail pages; I don't need to see the entire list each time I come back to
the page.  But I'd almost always want to see pictures of the items on the list.

I guess why I think it's good on the list page is because I'm a visual
person, and I can scan (and recognise) visual images a lot faster than text.
I have been trying to vote on more parts but a lot of parts, from their
description alone, are unknown to me or at least I am not too sure what they
are. I have to go download the DAT, then say "welp, no, I don't know enough
about this part to vote on it" after I see what it is.

Of course you never should vote WITHOUT downloading and studying the DAT
closely. But why download ones that you aren't going to review?

Heh.  I download the entire zip of unofficial files, every few days.  But I
might not be the typical user of the parts tracker.

Helps?

Yes, definitely.  Thanks.

Would it be at all helpful to have a [ref] link on the list page, so you
could quickly call up images of individual parts, but not have them all
force-fed down your pipe?

Steve