 CAD / 8001
Re: pictures at tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 19:50:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:

Yes, that's correct.  Although I'm going to guess that we won't be
totally rebuilding the symlibrary every 2 minutes (which is how often
new submissions are processed into the tracker).

not*"building*, no... but *make*-ing is quite feasible since it would be
incremental and unless the upload was a major major basic primitive, not of
huge effect, right?

Right.  But Ralph was asking about *building*, not *make'ing*. :)

I am thinking that you run make as a background job from cron every 2 min
and one of the production rules is the thing that updates symlinks based on
new files appearing or disappearing. Not sure though.

Err, I'm not seeing how that would work.  The symlinks would have the same
names (and file extensions) as the actual part files.  If we introduction a
production for .dat, it seems like it would be easy for make to start
thinking it could update all the library files itself.

Perhaps once an hour or once a day is enough?

It can easily be triggered by the background update process, to only run
when something's happened.

I am thinking as well that a properly set up make system can be used for far
more than just generating images, it can also (as Ralph said) do things like
create incremental zips for you that are continuously updated, and all kinds
of neat stuff.

That'd be great, where were you all several months ago, when I was slogged
through coding this stuff? :p

Steve