 CAD / 7962
Re: pictures at tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 19:24:18 GMT

Don Heyse wrote:

I thought a java applet doesn't have access to the local file system
for security reasons.  A java application on the other hand can access
the current local parts library, but you can't run that from a browser
without jnlp or something like that.

It can access the local filesystem if the user grant it permission to
do so. Signing the applet can help with this also. The Java
WebStart/JNLP thing is another alternative that I might explore. It
would allow the user to start the application up and run it even
when not connected to the internet at all.

I have to admit that this packaging and distribution stuff is
something I have been putting off. I orginally planned for my
program to be more of an editor. While that functionality is
still a ways off, it does work well as a viewer today, and I
think I can polish up the parts that don't shine to well right
now. The thing is that this will just bring the packaging and
distribution issue to the forefront alot sooner.

Are all the parts and subparts available at ldraw.org on an individual
basis?  Or can you just grab the zipped parts file and treat it as
a jar file?

I'm not sure exactly how the files are available. I'm pretty sure all
the currently 'unofficial' parts are available separately, and I think
the 'official' ones are also. Also yes, I could also DL one large ZIP
file and read from it as if it were a directory tree on the disk.

-Kyle

--
                                    _

                                  \\\//