 Administrative / Suggestions / 718
Re: Signature Image Abuse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 02:20:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Todd Lehman wrote:

<snip>

Don't get me wrong, I agree the system should place -some- limit on the
number of lines in a sig...  I just don't want us to forget that what's
acceptable is a *very* gray area and differs not only from person to person
but also from group to group and from culture to culture.

It's not just a matter of lines, it's a matter of bandwidth consumed.

Consider this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=17003

The current "signature" is only 2 or so lines long (depending on how you count)
but has a 30K image in it. (to be fair, Richard wants to downsize it... but
apparently doesn't know how with his tools, and doesn't know how to do the
research *cough* google "free image resize tool" *cough* to find a free tool to
do so *cough* imagemagick *cough*... or just can't be bothered)

Guess I won't be checking LUGNET from airports much any more, until and unless a
one click way to disable FTX is offered, don't have time to wait around for 30K
images to come over the crufty airport phone lines.

++Lar