 Administrative / Suggestions / 703
Re: Signature Image Abuse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 17:05:53 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I think it is hard to determine where the abuse border is. As Todd says, if
50x50 is allowed, is 60x40(less pixels but taller)? 48x55 (less height but more
pixels)? etc.

Hence my statement that I don't like this new feature. At least not yet. As of
right now, I see the disadvantages outweighing the advantages. I've always liked
Lugnet's relative serious look/format.

The various discussion has brought up a lot of issues. There has only
been momentary reference to pornography, but have you considered that?
Since the images are hosted externally, you can't even put someone on
moderation since they can make the picture a nice friendly picture until
their post is moderated, then swap it out with something rather
different.

There is a very big difference between posting a link to a site, and
actually presenting material from that site without a click-through.

I think you are somewhat safer with member created pages since they
aren't automatically linked to anything so a click is still necessary to
get to an offensive page.

Also, what about leak pictures? If someone posts one and several people
reply, you will have to edit (or cancel) a bunch of posts (which you
have been averse to in the past) to stop Lugnet from presenting the
image.

I am more willing to accept the text formatting, though I will rarely
see it (I hardly use the web interface anymore).

Personally though, I would like to see some changes that would encourage
more discussion. Lately, Lugnet has been dropping in interest to me.
Reading stupid "I got banned from .space again" posts in
lugnet.fabuland, or "let's bump up out post count by conducting a poll"
posts in lugnet.castle isn't very interesting to me (personally, .castle
seems close to dead in my mind, I guess it's really suffering from the
lack of a castle theme, so is .pirates).

Or maybe I'm just turning into a cranky old curmudgeon in my old age...

Frank