 Administrative / Suggestions / 701
Re: Signature Image Abuse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 16:56:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I think MOC images can (and should) be larger. I’m not concerned about size there (though others are). I’m on a DSL connection, running 1600x1200 resolution. But, I do respect those who don’t have that available, and suggest images of MOCs (or events, etc) are no larger than 640x480.

I think 640x480 is a good suggested maximum. IMHO, there’d be nothing wrong with 640x2000, though, if it were, say, a giant comic book page.

I think it really needs to be left up to the viewer to decide what to do with large images.

   Sig images and avatars are a different thing alltogether. The second post in this thread on FBTB:

http://pub186.ezboard.com/fthefbtbcommunityfrm20.showMessage?topicID=831.topic

Shows both a distasteful avatar

Hmm, I think that’s a matter of taste. I laughed when I saw it just now. (And I’m eating lunch. :-)

   and a distasteful sig.

Distasteful to whom? I would call it gaudy and larger than necessary, but not distasteful.

   On the avatar, I almost lost my lunch (which I was eating at the time) when I saw it. Nothing like seeing a face that looks like death when browsing a LEGO site.

I suppose not.

   On the sig image, it’s just too dang big. Imagine someone participating in a thread, and *each* message they post has a large image, often exceeding the size of the content of their message (like this fellow). I don’t want to see that happen on LUGNET.

It would be neat if you could say “block this image and don’t ever show it to me again in a news article.”

   (...) However I value written communication far above Paintbrush art, and I’ve got a low tolerance for graphics done in poor taste.

You want a “don’t show me ugly graphics” filter?

--Todd