 Administrative / Suggestions / 683
Re: Signature Image Abuse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:27:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Todd Lehman wrote:

   How do you suggest knowing which images are signature banners?

Watchful concerned community members who are willing to kindly guide and inform abusers.

See, the only thing that worries me about that is sooner or later - one of the guides are going to rub sombody the wrong way and I fear a huge war breaking out over it. I do not think that is too far-fetched. It happens every so often when people are ‘kindly reminded’ about where and where not to post a topic.

If the guidance was given in a way that was accepted by regulars as polite, getting ‘rubbed the wrong way’ would be entirely the fault of the person receiving the correction.

I don’t think we need to go out of our way to make LUGNET a politically correct, no one gets hurt paradise.

I’d rather keep the experience pleasant for those who know (and excercise) proper netiquette than be worried about one or two who don’t getting offended.

Unless the individual giving guidance does so with malice (which if that were the case, they’d likely get called on it), getting bent out of shape over the correction is irrational. You come to some place new, you play by the rules.

   Rules are good. This new format here will open up a new can of worms. I think maybe perhaps the best option is to have mods - but just be veeeeeeeeeeeeery careful how they are chosen. Trust me, pick the wrong person and things will get messy.

That isn’t a bad idea.

   But I really do not think huge sigs would be a problem here. Posts are not read in the manner they are on sites like BZP and FBTB. Meaning you do not have to scroll allllll the way past big sigs to get to the next post.

Sure, it’s not read in the same way, but it’s still a nuisance. Most large sig images I’ve seen have been in poor taste.

Anyways, huge sigs will be met with huge sighs by me.

-Tim