 Administrative / Suggestions / 689
Re: Signature Image Abuse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:44:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, John Henry Kruer wrote:

   Mmm, really, may I ask what was the intended purpose of including outside images? I’n sort of confused here- no big images, no sig images, etc.

You could make a rule that simply says, ‘no images above 100 X 100,’ which rules out both images large in size and space.

I think MOC images can (and should) be larger. I’m not concerned about size there (though others are). I’m on a DSL connection, running 1600x1200 resolution. But, I do respect those who don’t have that available, and suggest images of MOCs (or events, etc) are no larger than 640x480.

Sig images and avatars are a different thing alltogether. The second post in this thread on FBTB:

http://pub186.ezboard.com/fthefbtbcommunityfrm20.showMessage?topicID=831.topic

Shows both a distasteful avatar and a distasteful sig. On the avatar, I almost lost my lunch (which I was eating at the time) when I saw it. Nothing like seeing a face that looks like death when browsing a LEGO site. On the sig image, it’s just too dang big. Imagine someone participating in a thread, and *each* message they post has a large image, often exceeding the size of the content of their message (like this fellow). I don’t want to see that happen on LUGNET.

I try to browse FBTB and BZP regularly, but often have trouble keeping up with the latest on each site. Part of that is the EZBoard format. Also, the distasteful images which abound really diminish the experience for me. I’m not trying to knock either site - I love them both for the information they provide, and for the outlet they provide for their fan bases. However I value written communication far above Paintbrush art, and I’ve got a low tolerance for graphics done in poor taste.

-Tim