 Administrative / Suggestions / 692
Re: Signature Image Abuse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 15:09:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Technical question? Can it be turned off again without disruption if for
whatever reason that were desired?

Do you mean can the feature as a whole be disabled?
Yes, it would be trivial.

This is what I meant.. if for whatever reason it's decided that FTX should no
longer be allowed in posts, can you at that point
- prevent people from including FTX tags? (I suspect not, at least not in an
easy to implement but hard to get false positives or false negatives way)
- turn off the rendering code that actually renders the tags as enhanced content
for posts? (I suspect yes)

Or do you mean on a person-by-person basis?  That would be a bit more work.

I hadn't meant that but it's an interesting idea. Again... can you
- prevent a specific person from including FTX tags (I again suspect not)
- turn off the rendering code for some people's posts, but not everyone's, based
on some sort of privilege list? (I suspect yes but with as you say, a fair bit
of work... you have to recognise that a post is from a particular person in
order to turn off the renderer for that post)

   Turn it around - let people turn off FTX in messages they read.  Todd's
already contemplating a setting to let people choose to filter out images based
on size.  How about another option to filter out all FTX formatting?

Hence my statement that I don't like this new feature. At least not yet. As of
right now, I see the disadvantages outweighing the advantages. I've always liked
Lugnet's relative serious look/format.

   I've always liked Lugnet's serious look as well.

Brian H. Nielsen