 Administrative / NNTP / 625
Re: A letter to Todd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:59:00 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Mark Papenfuss writes:
It is very clear there are a few people who agree with what you have
done, but the vast majority of us feel what you have done is without merit
and wrong.

You certainly don't know that the vast majority feel that way.  You know
that about 10 to 12 highly vocal people are complaining and about 4 or 5
generally quieter people are agreeing.

Todd,

You probably wanted to just let this blow over, but I bet you could have spun
the change more aggressively and avoided the uproar.  I read your note.  I
didn't like it.  I waited.  I think that after reading your stuff -- but only
when inclusive with the attitude of willingness to keep working to solve the
problems at hand that you've displayed -- I've come around to your side.  I'm
not going to rant at anyone like some of your supporters have done, but I
figured more calm members pointing out that they're not unhappy with the
eventual outcome would be a good thing.

Now do you see the general tone in this completely random, but
representative selection of quotes? The amount of posts to this is
overwhelming, many things got lost in the fire storm that has been covering
us.

To call that completely random is...incorrect.

I read everything.

Is that "read" in the present or past tense?  I want to save that quote for
future out of context abuse.  ;-)

We have listened to the excuses you have given for doing what you did,
unfortunately, you have not listened to us about this.

Don't assume that.

It is hard to assume that one is listening when one receives little feedback.
I'm not exactly complaining about your level of communication, I'm pointing out
that feeling ignored is a natural response to not being engaged.

Eric Joslin in admin.nntp 518 ( http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=518 )
"Spoken, truly, like someone who has no idea how the Real World works.
Sometimes I forget that not everyone on Lugnet is an adult.
eric"

I believe Eric may have been under the impression that you were a 13-year-
old.  (I know it's not difficult for me to imagine that, given how you have
worded things such as "That has to be the lamest excuse I have ever
heard"[1] and your apparent tendency to read A and hear B.)

Or maybe Eric is just consistantly rude as hell and it's a shame we can't use
the skipfilter for posters.

And you should avoid it as much as possible.  I know that Mark's attitude
revved you up, but just keep breathing deeply.

So with that, I ask you, and challenge you: ask us what we want, listen to
us. This website was made for us - so show us we matter, and are wanted here

This website was not made for screaming lunatic fans.

Ultimately this website was made because it provided pleasure (and it must be a
huge amount of pleasure) to Todd and Suz.  Sometimes it seems like that's
impossible, but I guess it's verry rewarding on a day to day basis.

Even when I disagree with administrative decisions (because they're unfair,
because I don't understand, or because it was just a surprise...and I've seen
all three) I really appreciate that LUGNET is here, and that people with enough
talent, time, and love for The Brick and the fans is around.

Chris