 Administrative / NNTP / 662
Re: A letter to Todd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:24:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Rose Regner writes:
[...]
Would the reaction to this Bionicle thread have been different if the topic
had not been part of the marketing monster?

Rose, I'm not positive what it is you're asking, but if it's whether the
marketing aspects of Bionicle had anything to do with the decision to
rigidize policy constraints on official LEGO postings here, no, it didn't.
It just helped it happen sooner rather than later; you can think of it as a
wake-up call that made us more aware of the fact that we'd forgotten to do
this in the first place (a year ago).  In other words, it might just as
easily have been a thread about bulk sales in lugnet.general.

Who gives a S*** what color
masks they are trying to sell. (excuse my inference, my first, but it
really ticks me off as a mom)

I totally understand, and I would be too.  TLC just isn't the same LEGO that
it was 20 years ago.  Then again, they're apparently proud of that, so it's
where they want to be (more power to them, if it works out positively for
them and helps them focus on returning to traditional values as they say
they intend to).  Another thing that strikes me is that the rest of the toy
industry isn't the same either.  LEGO is probably damned if they do, damned
if they don't.  (I mean that figuratively, of course; I don't actually think
it's damned, even if Bionicle were a debacle).

I think Todd was correct and my response does belong here because the
original poster stated he was talking for the masses. Well I am not one
of those. Keep Lego marketing where it belongs. I could think of a better
group to post this Bionicle marketing, but I will show some restraint.

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts are standing up for your
convictions!

--Todd