 Administrative / NNTP / 647
Re: A letter to Todd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 05:15:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
<snip>
Yes Mark, they do have "some real power".  I'd rather not drag this
major incident up, but I feel it is relevant---some may have forgotten
it, and others may have never heard about it:

A while back some info was posted here on LUGNET by a fan(s) about
upcoming set releases from TLC.  I cannot recall whether this info
was available in public domain at that time.  (I believe it was found
in the public domain, but ended up there because of a blunder at
TLC.  I cannot find the relevant thread(s), perhaps someone else
can.)  At any rate, TLC was very quick to pull rank and serve LUGNET
with a legal order that the information be purged from the LUGNET
servers.  There was no friendliness about this.  It was an order that
had to be obeyed to avoid the legal consequences.  It forced Todd
to do what I believe was a first for LUGNET: censor messages.  This
all occurred against the backdrop of some promising and friendly
exchanges between LEGO Direct and LUGNETers.

I think that incident served as a sobering reminder of the fact
that there is "us", the LEGO fans, and "they", the company that
produces the product.  We are here because of our hobby.  They are
here because of their business.  And while most interactions will
be generally friendly between LUGNET and TLC, do not forget that
TLC will not hesitate to "show who's boss" when it suits them.

A key thing here is that TLC has the right to do so where their
business is concerned.  Likewise, I ackowledge Todd and Suzanne
have the same rights to do so where LUGNET is concerned.  If they
feel certain policies need to be implemented/changed to maintain
and protect their vision for LUGNET, then they can, and should,
do so.  I fully support Todd and Suzanne for cautiously guarding
LUGNET against any external influence, corporate or otherwise,
which has potential to undermine their vision for LUGNET and its
participant fans.

KDJ

THANK YOU! This really did explain more to me than everything else combined.
Now if this had been posted 2 or three days ago, it would have been even
better, lol!!  But really - Thank you.
Mark P.