 Administrative / NNTP / 643
Re: A letter to Todd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 04:03:53 GMT

Hmmm.  Quite a way to get involved in this, and thus far I have been kind of
nuetral...rather been juggling opinions for the past few days, pretty good
persuasive writers here :)  But, I somewhat believe this right here is the
core of the debate and the reason Todd decided to make this, ah..."reform':

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:

I know why Suzanne and I started LUGNET and it wasn't for LEGO to conduct
comapny business in discussion groups that were established for fans to talk
to fans.  On other hand, we did set up a hierarchy of groups (lugnet.lego.*)
which ARE intended for LEGO to conduct company business and related directly
to fans.

And, I found a nitpick in it.  Why does this make a difference?  The groups
wern't established with this in mind...point, please?  Before we ever heard
of Lego Direct or their idea of keeping in touch with us, Lugnet was
created.  So, obviously, the groups were designed for fans to talk to fans.

Then TLC spoke up.

Theme groups were designed for fans to talk to fans.  What do fans do,
anyway?  Basicially they chat, ask questions, gawk at each others work,
answer questions...  ::cough::

I say if Lego wants to say something, they should be saying it in the
appropiate group.  If they want to say something Town related (for instance,
"Town is coming back in full glory!"...shyeah, right) go to the place where
all the TOWN fans are located and spill it.  If you want it put in some
other group just for what TLC has to say, at the most make them cross post
to it, just so people can go to that group to see everything TLC has been
saying about anything.  Simply put I am not going to bother every day in a
separate group to see if Lego has felt like saying anything new...and I
shouldn't need to.  That is how newsgroups work.  You talk, you post, you
reply...back in the RTL days it was so simple, and Lugnet is starting to be
veiwed (by me at least) as new-fangled as much as useful (but the day I
think Lugnet is no good will be *the* day, I deeply appreciate it).  This is
the second time I felt really concerned about the new of Lugnet; the first
was selling/auctioning in their separate groups (like no sale of aquazone in
the aquazone group) but while that is something to be pondered and perhaps
wonder if there is a perfect solution (I have one, myself <g>), this issue
about Lego employees posting seems all too simple.  It's surprising that all
of this came from what I would have first deemed as a small and easily
resolved issue.

In my eyes, restricting the posting of people representing TLC barely
hinders Lugnet, but it would be better if this was not the case at all, so
why not?  We have a group for fans to talk to fans, and one for TLC to talk?
Not a good call IMO...the fans want to know.

Course, just IMHO, as usual.

--Josh