 Administrative / General / 4097
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:15:31 GMT

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:09:56 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

I looked around a bit in the newsserver code last night and I was thinking
of setting up a virtual newsgroup called _lugnet as a test case, and just
filling it manually with some stuff, and seeing what happened with a few
newsreaders.  Before I do that, though, I'll need to make sure that certain
parts of the system can ignore the group, since it won't be "real."  If that
test goes well, then another group, say, _lugnet.loc, might be another to
try with some real data.

Because of the "other parts of the system", is the prefix thing a
necessary/near necessary step?

Yah, or else perhaps alternatively, a message posted out of the blue to, say,
_lugnet.cad could be sent to lugnet.cad without giving an error message.  That
could work for just about any virtual umbrella group except the top-level one
and a couple others like _lugnet.admin and _lugnet.market...

I don't think it should work like that. Less incentive to
micro-classify threads.

Jasper